1. If you have owned and lived in your home for 2 of the 5 years prior to selling it, you can generally exclude up to $250, 000 of the gain from you income. ($500,000 on a joint return in most cases)
2. You are not eligible for this exclusion if you sold another principal residence within the past 2 years and excluded the allowable gain from your income.
3. If you can exclude ALL of the sale of the gain from your primary residence, you don’t need to report the sale on your tax return.
4. If you have gain on your principal residence that exceeds the allowable deduction, it is taxable.
5. You can,t deduct a loss from the sale of your primary residence.
6. Special rules may apply when you sell a home for which you’ve received for the first-time home buyer credit. ( See IRS publication 523, “selling your home” for details.)
At American Guaranty Title, our vision is to provide transparent and unbeatable service to our clients. Here at AGT we treat each client as a person; making them a member of our family.Contact
1227A N. Valley Mills Dr. Compass Bank Building Waco, TX 76710
331 W. Highway 6 Suite A Waco, TX, 76710